PDA

View Full Version : My frosting sucks.

bloodycupcake
08-20-2010, 09:59 PM
I hope I'm not duplicating this forum cause I'm making cupcakes right now and need help!!
I'm excellent on the cupcakes themselves, but when it comes to the frosting, it either ends up runny, and won't thicken at all, or It'll turn out great, but will melt on my cupcakes. (which are always cooled down first!)
What am I doing wrong? I'm about to give up on making frosting completely =(
I've gotten a new mixer, and pans, and I don't want them to go to waste, but if I can't make the frosting, I'm going to freak out.
Thanks for your help!!:unsure:

colormecupck
08-21-2010, 04:29 AM
I hope I'm not duplicating this forum cause I'm making cupcakes right now and need help!!
I'm excellent on the cupcakes themselves, but when it comes to the frosting, it either ends up runny, and won't thicken at all, or It'll turn out great, but will melt on my cupcakes. (which are always cooled down first!)
What am I doing wrong? I'm about to give up on making frosting completely =(
I've gotten a new mixer, and pans, and I don't want them to go to waste, but if I can't make the frosting, I'm going to freak out.
Thanks for your help!!:unsure:

can you post what recipe you're using? where your located? (for temperature/environment reasons) what kind of mixer you have?

Laura
08-21-2010, 04:37 AM
It sometimes happens that I follow frosting instructions _to the letter_ and the frosting in question comes out too thick/too runny. Of course, the solution is to add more butter to thicken it up or add more milk to thin it down as the case may be. However, this ad libbing of changing the proportions of ingredients is a catch-as-catch-can thing and trying to solve _one_ frosting problem has sometimes resulted in _another_.

ChiCupcake
08-21-2010, 04:58 AM
Too thick? Use butter, milk or water to thin it out.
Too thin? Use more powdered sugar.

Rule of Thumb
However, use a teaspoon at a time to thin it out. Pour it in slowly & mix it a little at a time. Even go as far a using 1/2 a teaspoon and then mix. Watch how it mixes in because you should be able to gauge the texture. This way you won't go from one extreme to the other. Same with sugar. Use a teaspoon & pour it in slowly and mix a little at time.

:mellow:

Princess Cupcake
08-21-2010, 03:36 PM
@JulieBakesCakes (http://twitter.com/JulieBakesCakes) says:watch the milk/ liquid input. Hot day=less milk as butter will melt more. Also keep cooling hands while handling piping bag.

bloodycupcake
08-21-2010, 10:25 PM
This is the recipe I used.
VANILLA BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
1 package powdered sugar (16 ounces)
1/2 cup butter, softened (1 stick)
3 tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
Beat sugar, butter, milk and vanilla with electric mixer at low speed until well blended and smooth. If frosting becomes too thick, beat in additional milk by teaspoonfuls until the frosting is of spreading consistency.
(http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1855,141163-236204,00.html)

I live in Michigan, and it has been humid, but its been nice and cool in my house.
thanks for everyone's advice ^_^