PDA

View Full Version : Tough Cupcakes

Gem0124
10-02-2010, 03:44 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum but have been baking for years. I just started baking cupcakes and tonight I baked my third batch. While they were tasty, the cupcake were a little tough and I have no idea what may have caused this. Any ideas?? :huh:

Thanks in advance for any input.

Laura
10-02-2010, 05:38 AM
Welcome to cupcake forum! I too, am an experienced cook, (I have even made some things of the cake variety from scratch). I can think of a couple possibilities for your problem off the top of my head. If the cupcakes are not from a mix, it may be because the flour you are using is a high-gluten flour. :huh: Do other things you make with the same flour come out the same way? This is often true of wheat or whole grain flours and sometimes of locally-produced or small-producer flour. While I generally use white All-Purpose flour from major producers and average supermarkets and have had no complaints (at least about that), it may be advisable to try cake flour.
You may be overbaking them...it could be that the oven heat is not really very high (this was true when my old stove was leaking gas, the actual oven temperature was often way less than it was supposed to be) so to compensate I had to leave things in for much longer than the recipe instructions called for. If you have a similar situation in your kitchen, get your stove checked out. If it is an older gas stove, you could save your life and your house. :ohmy:
You may have put not enough liquid in the batter when you were mixing them (did it pour out into the cupcake cups or was it more like cookie dough?).:unsure: It's possible you could have over-mixed it. It's possible there was a combination of one or more of the above. Hope I've helped, and hope to see you again on the forum!

EHURST
02-27-2011, 04:05 AM
thanks that helped me