PDA

View Full Version : Texture??

ali021205
02-25-2011, 11:30 PM
Not been baking cupcakes for very long and it did start off well enough, but lately I've thought the cakes have been coming out a little heavier than I would like, could be a bit lighter! Is this down to mixing to much or not mixing enough?? I dont know but any help and advice would be great! :unsure:

Princess Cupcake
04-07-2011, 05:51 PM
How old is your baking powder/soda? It might be too old or perhaps got some moisture in it. Here's how you can test: For baking powder, all you have to do is stir about 1/4 teaspoon of powder into 1/2 cup or so of very hot water. Tap water is fine, and the proportions aren't fussy. The soda will immediately start to bubble if it's still good.

Baking soda needs an acid to get a reaction, so use the same method as for baking powder but add 1/4 teaspoon of vinegar to the water before water before adding the soda. As before, if it bubbles up, your soda is fine to use.

If you don't see bubbles, then sadly, you'll need to take a trip to the store and buy a fresh box! If there isn't much fizzing, your ingredients are likely on their way out. You can probably still use them to get some lift, but your baked goods will be more dense that usual. Don't be tempted to double the amount of baking soda or powder - that would make your food taste seriously strange!

Swedish Cupcaker
04-21-2011, 07:28 PM
I know this is a pretty old post but I also know this forum moves very slow.. I haven't been cupcaking for too long either but I'm a very curious person so I've tried alot of reciped. :p
Yes, mixing alot will make the cake more dense, especially if it's a batter based n egg-whites.

By the way, has anyone noticed that the more runny batters come out more fluffy and light than the thicker kind of batter that you can spoon into the cups? Or maybe it's just my recipes... or me! :p