PDA

View Full Version : Giant cupcake help

Mrsslater7
03-12-2011, 11:38 PM
Hi peeps I am wanted to make to giant cupcake, made one and didn't fill it enough and then the second batch the base was fine but the lid stuck an fell apart can any one advise me on what to do :wink:

Amethyst Cupcake
03-20-2011, 04:58 PM
Did you use the silicone moulds?? As I have just come on here especially to ask about these! lol I have just tried to use one, literally, like half an hour ago....I washed them out when I recieved it for my birthday in december and I washed it out today, I put the cake mix in, put it in the oven and my whole flat stunk of plastic!!! It was disgusting! They weren't even in there for 10 minutes! We couldn't breathe it was that bad...I had to turn the oven off, take the moulds out and open all the windows! Is it supposed to do that??? Does it pass with time?? If my flat stinks, I don't want to know what my cake is going to smell like!!!!
Any help for me too?? lol

Laura
03-30-2011, 03:13 AM
My mother has gotten a number of silicone molds in recent years, including but not limited to a muffin/cupcake pan (the flexible plastic supported by a separate coated wire framework, which is an additional item to get dirty/wash/lose) and pastel-colored silicone faux cupcake "papers", which you have to peel from the cupcake (usually breaking up the cupcake in the process) and scrub, dry, and re-use (defeating the ease for which cupcake papers were designed in the first place. If you want to wash-and-re-use, why not just grease the muffin cups/pan?).
While I've never had the problem with them that you describe, Amethyst, they've given me more than enough other problems. The cake part of the cupcake sticks to them in an even and thoroughgoing manner. Grease just seems to adhere to them, and you're not supposed to use steel wool on them. And they happen to be very hard to get clean. Did I mention that you're not supposed to put them in the dishwasher?
This leads generally to me to washing them by hand, discovering that they still have grease/crumbs adhereing to them after they've been in the dish drainer for a while, trying again at washing 'em, lathering, rinsing, repeating.
Supposedly professional chefs use silicone molds a lot, but I don't see how they would put up with them, especially since NYC restaurants have more stringent sanitary standards than my mom's kitchen.
So much for the labor-saving promises of the modern kitchen. (Though it's not always successful in getting 'em clean, I put pots & pans in the dishwasher when I can get away with it).