View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 03:17 AM

Default Black frosting without food coloring, experiment 1

Having seen accounts and instructions for making black frosting/icing which involved artificial food coloring which conferred a tart or bitter flavor upon the icing they were in, she sought a natural way to achieve a sufficiently black color with which to ice Disney mouse ears, black Halloween cats, and more. Admittedly, this is a difficult assignment, but in the spirit of experimentation, I tried the first of what are three planned black frosting experiments: a cocoa-based chocolate frosting recipe with reduced blackberry puree in lieu of water. The experiment was a partial success: it is probably not pipe-able (but this is frosting not icing, I put in perhaps a little much concentrated blackberry puree and perhaps too little coca powder/powdered sugar). In Michelle's view, it came out edible but not optimal. It was a success in the sense that it was quite dark in color (a dark brown-black just a shade under true black) and it tasted chocolate-y with just a little trace of blackberry. A great improvement over the artificial taste of using artificial colors. So, now I just have to experiment with proportions. the following is the recipe we used:
Creamy Cocoa icing
2 and two-thirds cups sifted confectioners' sugar
one-third cup cocoa (I used the Black Onyx dark chocolate Cocoa)
one-third cup soft butter
3 to 4 tbsp. milk (I used the blackberry puree, previously strained for seeds-thanks, mom- and reduced in a small sauce pan on a burner on the stove)
Sift sugar & cocoa together. Add butter and milk. Stir until well-blended. Makes frosting for two 8" or 9" layers or 13 x 9" oblong. I used to to frost a dozen chocolate muffins, serving in the office of cupcakes.